- 2015-2016 President, Washington State Bar Association
- 2006 Washington State Bar Association President's Award
- Lawyer Representative, U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Washington to the Ninth Circuit Judicial Conference.
- President, Federal Bar Association of the Eastern District of Washington
- Trustee, Legal Foundation of Washington
- Past member, Board of Governors of the Washington State Bar Association
- Past President, Spokane County Bar Association
- Co-chair, Washington State Bar Association Committee on Public Defense
- Past member, Washington Supreme Court Task Force on Equal Justice Funding
- Associated Builders & Contractors, Secretary and Director; Past Chair of Legal Rights & Strategies Committee
- Associated General Contractors, Inland Northwest Chapter, Member and Past Director
- Past President, Washington State University Alumni Association
- 2002 Washington State University Alumni Achievement Award
- 2001 Washington State University President's Award for Leadership and Service
- Past Co-chair of Citizens for Spokane's Schools and successful bond issue campaigns to construct new schools.
- Past Co-Chair of successful community campaign for construction of Spokane's new Veteran's Memorial Arena.
- Former Assistant Scoutmaster and Troop Committee Chair, Boy Scouts of America
- Board member, Morning Star Boys' Ranch
- President, Morning Star Boys' Ranch Foundation
- Member, Rotary Club of Spokane
Professional Background / Biography
- Joined Lukins & Annis, P.S. in 1980, and became a Principal in the firm in 1984.
- United States Attorney for the Eastern District of Washington, 1991-1993.
- Rejoined Lukins & Annis, P.S. in 1993, and is a Principal in the firm in its Litigation Department.
AREAS OF EMPHASIS
- Litigation and Dispute Resolution
- Construction Law and Claims
- Commercial and Complex Litigation
- Government Relations
- Regularly presents cases in both the trial courts and through arbitration
- Serves as an arbitrator for the American Arbitration Association
Admitted to Practice
- State courts in Washington and Idaho
- U.S. District Court, Eastern and Western Districts of Washington, and District of Idaho
- Ninth U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals
- United States Supreme Court
- Washington State University, B.A., 1973
- University of Washington, Masters of Public Administration, 1977
- Gonzaga University School of Law, J.D., 1980
- Represent over 190 independent retail pharmacies in nationwide antitrust actions filed in U.S. District Court, transferred to a multi-district complex litigation action in Chicago, Illinois, and later transferred to New York for trial.
- Regularly represent owners, contractors, subcontractors, suppliers, design professionals, and sureties on construction project claims and contract disputes, including the following:
- Construction supplier in state court litigation involving over 120 parties and construction lien claims in excess of $1 million
- Subcontractor in multiple performance, lien and payment disputes with contractor on multiple public works projects occurring at same time
- Construction defect claims on high school project
- Subcontractor on assessment and penalties for environmental pollution claims
- Contractor in trial on performance claims against subcontractor on community college project
- Contractor in arbitration brought by subcontractor over contract extra work claims
- Surety on bond claims at trial court and Court of Appeals
- Contractor in arbitration on owner claims of construction defects of restaurant
- Architect on suit by former architect terminated on international project
- Architect on owner claims of malpractice on design and budgeting on construction project
- Owner in trial on construction defect claims and defending against contractor's claim of lien
- Contractor in bid dispute with School District and another contractor
- Represented national petroleum company in federal court in a commercial dispute regarding termination of petroleum distributorship.
- Represented producer in $6 million claim against agricultural marketing firm in the Superior Court, State Court of Appeals, Washington State Supreme Court, and U.S. Bankruptcy Court for the Western District of Washington.
- Represent seller of patented technology in federal court litigation over contract performance, payment, and security claims.
- Represent airline in federal court litigation with petroleum supplier and bank over payment and security claims.
- Represented national software supplier in federal court litigation with credit union over contract performance and assignment claims.